Wainwright's Coast to Coast 2006 - Outline
I walked the Coast to Coast in May 2006. Devised by the eminent fell walker Alfred Wainwright, the path extends for 192 miles across the heart of England, taking in three national parks along the way. Voted the second best long distance path in the world, it sees tens of thousands of people every year, but it still not officially recognised as a national trail.
I used two guidebooks when walking the path, Wainwright (of course) and Stedman. It should be made illegal to walk the C2C and not carry Wainwright's book, but the drawings are a little too detailed in places and can be difficult to follow, especially if you're not used to reading Wainwright's work. I also carried the Trailblazer book written by Henry Stedman, which is probably the best guidebook to use if you can only take one book.
The Stedman guide is currently in the second edition - a new third edition should be out in time for the 2008 walking season - so make sure you get the most up to date edition. You can buy direct from Trailblazer - it's sometimes as cheap as Amazon et al.
The following links take you to Memory Map Route Cards for each of the twelve days.
Memory Map route cards (you don't need to have MM to view these route cards) give a summary of the route for each day of the walk, including total distance, height gained, estimated time to complete, a height profile of the route and a map of the route.
- Day 1 - St. Bees to Ennerdale Bridge - click here
- Day 2 - Ennerdale Br. to Rosthwaite - click here
- Day 3 - Rosthwaite to Patterdale - click here
- Day 4 - Patterdale to Shap - click here
- Day 5 - Shap to Kirkby Stephen - click here
- Day 6r - Kirkby Stephen to Keld (Red route over Nine standards) - click here
- Day 6b - Kirkby Stephen to Keld (Blue route over Nine standards) - click here
- Day 6g - Kirkby Stephen to Keld (Green route over Nine standards) - click here
- Day 7 - Keld to Reeth - click here
- Day 8 - Reeth to Richmond - click here
- Day 9 - Richmond to Ingleby Cross - click here
- Day 10 - Ingleby Cross to Clay Bank Top - click here
- Day 11 - Clay Bank Top to Glaisdale - click here
- Day 12 - Glaisdale to Robin Hood's Bay - click here
You can leave comments on the journal here: Coast to Coast 2006 Comments.